Wednesday, August 1, 2007

WHEN LOVE IS FOR REAL

Dark cloudy day in the city - “A pessimist only sees the dark side of the clouds, and mopes; a philosopher sees both sides and shrugs; an optimist doesn't see the clouds at all--he's walking on them.”

Two lovers were talking and she said to him, "I don't have a lot of money. I don't have a brand new sports car and a yacht like Lisa Turner, but I love you with all my heart."

He said to her, "I love you, too. But tell me more about Lisa Turner." Tennessee Williams might have said that he had "all the sincerity of a bird-hunter's whis­tle."

If love is anything, I believe it must be genuine. It must be sincere.

That word "sincere" has some interesting roots. I'm told it comes from the ancient marble quarries of Rome. Apparently, unscrupulous stone dealers covered the marble's imperfections with wax. The practice eventually became illegal, as the Roman Empire certified that all marble must be "sine cera" or "sincerus," meaning without wax -- genuine. So, to be sincere is to be genuine. And love, at its best, is likewise "free of deceit," or genuine.

Genuine love is for real. And it's the stuff whole and happy lives are built on.

From Lifesupport.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails