Friday, June 3, 2011

A WAY TO FIND ENJOYMENT IN LIFE

Fresh brinjals@eggplants for sale - “I doubt that the imagination can be suppressed. If you truly eradicated it in a child, he would grow up to be an eggplant.”

At one time, Bangkok television aired the American situation comedy
LaVerne and Shirley. For whatever reason, officials there believed
that a disclaimer was necessary for the Thailand audience, so this
subtitle was added to each show: "The two women depicted in the
following episode are from an insane asylum."

Personally, I'm thankful there is a little silliness in the world.
And I don't mind not acting like everybody else. Like the
"irrepressible" educator and speaker Leo Buscaglia once said: "I don't
mind if people think I'm crazy. In fact, I think it's great! It
gives me tremendous latitude for behavior."

Buscaglia knew how to laugh. And I think knowing how to laugh and
have fun is an important part of living.

Someone asked me what I do for fun. I felt I should answer with
something others enjoy, like golf or skiing. But my idea of fun is
not usually associated with entertainment and recreation. It is more
about squeezing as much enjoyment into every day as I can. Instead
of looking for something fun to do, I try to make whatever I do a
little more fun. And if I can't always do things I enjoy, I can
learn to enjoy more of the things I do.

I like the word "enjoyment" because it has "joy" inside of it. So
does the word "rejoice." And rejoicing is a way to find enjoyment of
life.

Speaking of Leo Buscaglia, he used to tell a story about his mother
and their "misery dinner." It was the night after his father came
home and said it looked as if he would have to go into bankruptcy
because his partner had absconded with their firm's funds. His
mother's response was to sell some of her jewelry to buy food enough
for a grand feast. At first, other members of the family scolded her
for it. But she told them that "the time for joy is now, when we
need it most, not next week." They learned to appreciate the hopeful
attitude that lifted them out of fear and into joy.

I want to learn to be happy even in those difficult and trying
times. I won't be happy FOR them (who likes problems?), just IN
them. I need the soothing medicine of laughter when it hurts. I want
to learn that the time for joy is now, when I need it most.

Maybe it sounds silly, but I want to learn to rejoice in all things.
And If I'm doing that well, it really doesn't matter what I like to
do for fun.

From Lifesupport

Lifesigns Life Quotes

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails