Monday, May 28, 2007

ARE WE REALLY THAT DIFFERENT FROM ONE ANOTHER?

Memorial bronze statue - “In every block of marble I see a statue as plain as though it stood before me, shaped and perfect in attitude and action. I have only to hew away the rough walls that imprison the lovely apparition to reveal it to the other eyes as mine see it.”

I enjoy a story about baseball great Joe Garagiola. He once stepped to the plate when his turn came to bat. Before assuming his stance, however, fervent Roman Catholic Joe took his bat and made the sign of the cross in the dirt in front of home plate. Catcher Yogi Berra, also a devout Catholic, walked over and erased Garagiola's cross. Turning to the astonished batter, Berra smiled and said, "Lets let God watch this inning."

And I suspect that God, who does not root for one team only, smiled.

I likewise enjoy the story about an old Quaker who stood during the church meeting and told his fellow Friends about a young man who was not a Quaker and who lived an undisciplined life. This young man invited a pious Quaker friend to go sailing one day. A sudden storm came up and the wild young man was drowned. Having made his point, the old Quaker sat down.

Silence returned to the meeting until the old man once again arose. This time he said, "Friends, for the honor of the truth, I think I ought to add that the Quaker also drowned."

And I suspect that the heart of God, who does not arbitrarily sink ships, was filled with sadness for both losses.

It is true that the sun shines on all of us - good and bad alike. The rain falls on each of us, regardless of religious affiliation. And I wonder, are we really very different from one another?

From Lifesupport.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails