Tuesday, December 30, 2008

EMBARRASSING MOMENTS IN LIFE

Raindeer ride at the amusement park - “Change does not roll in on the wheels of inevitability, but comes through continuous struggle. And so we must straighten our backs and work for our freedom. A man can't ride you unless your back is bent.”

You've had one of those embarrassing moments. One of mine occurred a few years ago.

I was driving through a seedy side of town one day and spotted a young woman hitching a ride. (I honestly believed she just wanted a ride!) So I stopped the car to let her in.

It happened during rush hour heavy traffic. I pulled over, but not out of the lane, for there was no shoulder on the road. As I reached across to open the car door, I noticed traffic backing up behind me. (It also seemed that more than a few drivers were glaring at me.)

Once she was in and we started down the street I asked her, "Where are you going?" She mumbled something I didn't understand so I asked her again.

Instead of answering, she turned to me and asked, "Do you want a date?

In my normal eloquent manner I responded, "Huh?"

"Do you want a date?" she asked again. "Do you want to have some fun?"

I may not be the fastest horse in the race, but it was finally getting through. "No," I feebly answered, realizing now what I had stepped into. (Believe me - she didn't LOOK like a prostitute!)

"Then you better let me out," she said. "I have work to do."

We had only traveled about two blocks and I pulled over again. The SAME CARS that were behind me before were still there. Again, they all had to stop while she got out of the car. Now I was SURE they were glaring.

As I drove off something unsettling occurred to me: I slowly realized that I was undoubtedly the only person on the street that day who didn't know what was going on!

Mayor Filorello LaGuardia of New York City said, "I don't make many mistakes, but when I do, it's a beaut." I, on the other hand, make plenty of mistakes, and a surprising number of them are beauts.

But I like actress Sophia Loren's approach: "Mistakes," she says, "are part of the dues one pays for a full life." And the fuller the life, I suspect, the more dues paid and the more risks taken.

I'll take the risks and make the mistakes if it means my life will be fuller. After all, the greater mistake would be to never to risk at all.

From Lifesupport.

Lifesigns Life Quotes

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails