Friday, July 16, 2010

LIFE SPARKLES

Antique cups and saucers - “A thousand cups of wine do not suffice when true friends meet, but half a sentence is too much when there is no meeting of minds.”

"Nobody, as long as he moves among the chaotic currents of life, is without trouble," said psychologist Carl Jung.

I received a letter from a woman who responded to something that I wrote. Listen to her unusual response to trouble:

"Your excerpt from your book *Touching Moments* really spoke to me. I have discovered the gift that can come from adversity. In January my husband, who is in his 50's, was diagnosed with Alzheimer's Disease. My whole world was turned upside down and I was devastated. It was a relief to know finally what was wrong with him, but also I am all too well aware of the grim reality of the hideous effects of such a disease.

"Sometimes it is really frustrating as well as heartbreaking to see the way he struggles to communicate and express himself. In addition seeing him standing in front of his closet, not sure why he is there but knowing there was something he needed to get out of it, tears me apart.

"However, this disease has brought us closer together. I find myself cherishing moments with him which I might never have given a second thought to. I find myself letting the dishes wait if he suggests that we take a bath together or go swing outside in our garden swing. He looks at the world with new eyes, and scenes I might never have noticed he points out to me. It may be the way that the light plays on the fountain or a delicate spider web glistening in the sun.

"I am learning to live in the moment and to be aware of all the beauty and wonder that surrounds us in this world. My husband's illness, as insidious as it is, is molding me into a better person, a more tolerant and patient person, and full of gratitude for each moment we spend together.

"Trouble will come, there is no escaping it, but trouble can richly bless us. We may find our life changing direction and seeing possibilities we may have missed if trouble had not brought its gift to us."

A woman I know was diagnosed with cancer and has struggled through surgeries, chemotherapy and radiation treatments. She was recently asked how she is doing. Her response was, "Life sparkles." Isn't that wonderful? "Life sparkles!"

She went on to explain that ever since the disease she has appreciated life more fully. Now she sees a sunrise or the way the sunlight reflects on new-fallen snow as if she were looking at it for the first time…or the last time. The world is awash in beauty in ways she has never before noticed. Kindnesses done for her by friends mean more. Life sparkles!

Nobody can live without trouble. But for those with eyes to see...life sparkles.

From Lifesupport.

Lifesigns Life Quotes

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails