Thursday, April 10, 2008

OF CRANKY POSTMEN AND MAILBOXES

I’m big on DIY. Why buy ‘em, when you can do ‘em yourself?

You see, I’ve had this makeshift mailbox latched prettily on my gate for the past 10 years or so. The mailbox is essentially a biscuit tin with the top removed, placed vertically against the front gate. Because the mailbox is quite big, the newspaper boy would just stuff our newspaper inside the mailbox, instead of throwing it over the gate into the compound. I was quite pleased with myself. It’s a dual-purpose mailbox – who wouldn’t be?

About a week ago, I got an earful from the neighbourhood postman. According to him, he’d make the daily rounds at 9 a.m. every day. And everyday, without fail, the guy would have to make a return trip to my house at 11 a.m. Over the years, I’ve developed this habit of retrieving the newspaper at 10 a.m. So you can imagine the postman’s frustration. When he stops by my house at 9 a.m., my mailbox would be too full for anything else to go inside.

Here I am, a week later, fully repentant. I’m determined to get a proper mailbox!

Seattle Luxe carries a nice selection of mailboxes. They’ve got curbside mailboxes, column mailboxes, wall-mounted mailboxes… you name it!


Their mailboxes not only look dignified (well, a whole lot more dignified than my makeshift biscuit tin, that’s for sure), but do a pretty mean job at preventing mail theft. These would be their anti-theft locking line of mailboxes.

I like to imagine owning one of these, and seeing the “what the?!” look on the neighbourhood mail-klepto‘s face when he tries to crib my mail:


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I liked the last one, but would add one more function: a coffee machine. I mean the post man should have some service too :lol:

Btw: Thanks for the add at BC - hello from Norway, nice to meet you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails